FRESH ORGANIC VEGGIES FROM THE OTTAWA VALLEY
CSA shares are now available.
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a system of distributing food in a way that connects you directly to local farm produce. No middleman. Buy a share of our farm’s seasonal produce before the growing season and then receive a weekly supply of fresh, in-season organically grown produce all summer long.
What’s a CSA?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a partnership between the farmer and his customers. Members of the CSA buy a “share” in the farmer’s crop at the beginning of the season and in return receive a portion of the farm's harvest for the entire growing season.
Not only do members get to enjoy fresh, healthy and delicious vegetables but they also have the opportunity to support local organic and ecologically sound farming practices.
This cooperation benefits the farmer by providing him with the money he needs when his production costs are the highest. It also gives him a solid customer base so he can concentrate his efforts on what he does best . . . growing great vegetables.
The CSA benefits the members because they not only receive the freshest possible food, but also the total value of the produce they get often exceeds the cost of their share.
- Each week, a tasty selection of fresh picked veggies
- Cooking healthier, more delicious meals
- No toxic pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers
- No long distance shipping—which means less fuel burned getting the food from the ground to your table
- Supporting local farmers and local economy
- Having the satisfaction of knowing who grew your food and how it was grown
We are now offering shares for the 2016 season.
Sign up is on a first come basis and the first payment is due when you signup. The harvest season will run for 19 weeks from June 6 to October 13. Harvest day and deliveries to Ottawa will be on Thursdays. Members will be reminded of our schedule 2 weeks before the first harvest date. The harvest day for farm pickups is on Mondays for pick-ups from noon to 7:00 PM.
What Veggies Do I Get?
During the season, the share will include an increasing variety of produce. Here is an example of what you may get in the weekly boxes.
- June: Radishes, spinach, lettuce, peas, leafy greens, green onions, baby beets
- July: Peas, carrots, beets and greens, cucumbers, summer squash, beans, kohlrabi, lettuce and herbs
- August: Beans, carrots, tomatoes, beets, squash, leeks, eggplant, onions, broccoli, garlic, lettuce, cucumbers, potatoes, cauliflower
- September: Potatoes, melons, peppers, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, squash, leeks, lettuce
- October: Potatoes, leeks, carrots, beets, turnips, pumpkins, squash, parsnips
Please keep in mind that these are estimates and weather, pests and disease and bumper crops are unpredictable.
How Much Food?
Saffire Farms CSA offers 2 kinds of shares: a full share and a small share. A full share is designed to feed a family of 4 or 2 vegetarians. A small share is designed for 2 adults or 1 adult vegetarian.
A full share costs $630. A small share costs $325. Payment is due at signup (starting in February). Payments may be split between your sign up date and August 1. We accept cheques or cash. We also accept EMTs or Interac email money transfers if you are paying in full.
Members will receive email newsletters with updates on the garden’s progress, recipes etc. Members have an open invitation to visit our farm to see how we grow our veggies and you can always help with the weeding. :-) We are committed to making this year’s CSA a success for everyone involved.
Saffire Farms is in a cozy green spot nestled between Almonte & Pakenham Ontario at 282 Bennies Corners Rd, Mississippi Mills, Ontario.
View from the road
PROMOTE LOCAL ORGANIC AGRICULTURE
Call or email to get started.